Thursday, April 4, 2013

Day 3......

Ah, day 3......

Well, day 3 was, in a word, HARD!!!!  I woke up feeling a bit off, and by the time I took Lily to school, I felt like my insides were peeling off of my body and trying to get out.  I did manage to get through an hour slow flow yoga class, but the run was out.  I doubt that I would have made it down the street.

I felt so awful that I ate chicken soup for breakfast.  After I got home from yoga, I warmed up some soup I had made over the weekend.  It was warm and comforting, but I could only eat a little.  I spent most of the day in the big easy chair, resting and reading and sleeping a bit.  Finally, by the time I got Lily from school, I was beginning to feel better.

This is detox.  This is withdrawal.  This is the result of eating crap for so long.

As I nursed my detoxing body, I thought about what I had eaten growing up.  I'm part of the generation whose moms were working full time and who had access to all of the fake food we could stuff in our bodies.  My mother, God bless her, would serve us hotdogs with jello, fish sticks, rice a roni, pork chops in Shake and Bake, bologna sandwiches on white bread with slices of American cheese peeled from plastic, Little Debbie snack cakes, kool aid.  She worked, we didn't have a lot of money, and she did her best - I understand that.  But it's a wonder that I'm as healthy as I am today after a childhood of consuming what is referred to in "It Starts With Food" as "Frankenfood."

I did manage to make some awesome chili for dinner that my kids loved and that will become a staple in my house.  It's from The Clothes Make The Girl and here is the link http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/.  Try it.  You will never want another chili recipe again.

I feel much, MUCH better this morning, so let's hope it's a sign of things to come....feeling good and having more energy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment